- China’s ZTE Corp has submitted an application to the US Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) for the suspension of a business ban ,said in a filing to the Shenzhen stock exchange on Sunday.
- Washington imposed a seven-year ban on US companies selling components and software to ZTE last month after finding that the Chinese telecoms company breached US sanctions on Iran.
- ZTE’s exchange filing on Sunday did not give details of its request or say when it had been made.
- The Chinese firm is heavily reliant on imports of US chips and the ban on sales threatens to scupper its smartphone business. ZTE has said the ban is unacceptable and threatens its survival.
“However long a road, it has an end. However long a night, it also has an end. Let’s be confident, hopeful, and welcome the light of dawn,” ZTE’s Chairman, Yin Yimin added.